Sunday, April 8, 2012

The Hockey Life: One lucky dude


Unbeknownst to me, Colin must have hired himself a new PR guy. Through this blog, Facebook and Twitter, I thought I was doing a darn good job, as any proud parent would do, of promoting him and his accomplishments.

A string of recent events, though, are boggling, even to me.

Since last Saturday, he has:

 ~ appeared on the Tampa Bay Times Forum Jumbotron three times;
 ~ participated in two events at the NCAA's Frozen Four championships;
 ~ seen himself in a FSL baseball Clearwater Threshers TV commercial (He saw it Wednesday night during Discovery Channel's Sons of Guns, but I haven't.); and
 ~ been in a photograph on Page 10C of Thursday's Tampa Bay Times.

For some kids, that's a good year. But in a week? Come on. And, yet, it gets better.

We're hearing, too, that he has to appear, dressed to the nines, at Ruth Eckerd Hall later this month to accept a Pinellas School District Pride Award in social studies, representing all fifth-graders at Blanton Elementary in St. Petersburg.

So, maybe, he did hire himself a publicist or someone to help spread the word. Given all that's happened in less than two weeks, can you blame him?

Am I complaining? Heck, no. Not in the least little bit. I'm in full-blown, pedal-to-the-metal, top-shelf Bragging Daddy mode right here. And that, my friends, is the best part of being a parent. Every moment becomes a memory that will last a lifetime.

If you can't relate, please, accept my condolences. You don't know what you're missing. Me? I know what I have and am relishing every last second.

2 comments:

  1. That's fantastic. Not just some sport recognition, but off the ice as well. Congratulations.

    Have fun with it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know, any time I start to whine about work or whatever, I take a walk around the house, look at his hockey gear or a picture and quickly understand why I do as much as I do.

    I'm trying to be the father I never knew and provide him every opportunity to excel in whatever he chooses to do. Above all else, I hope that's my legacy. If it is, I served my purpose.

    ReplyDelete