Saturday, May 11, 2013

Team report: Pittsburgh Penguins


Over the past few NHL seasons, I haven't made much of an effort to hound the Pittsburgh Penguins. Sure, their lineup is stacked with NHL superstars. Sidney Crosby. Evgeni Malkin. Kris Letang. And, to some degree, Marc-Andre Fleury.

The only problem, for me at least, was that the team brought out bigger crowds, which usually means fewer autographs. So, after taking a break over the past few seasons, it was time for me to deal with any crowd and hound the Pens when they visited Hockey Bay in early April.

Honestly, the hounding crew wasn't as big as I'd feared. Surprisingly, it was downright manageable. I imagine, too, that Crosby's absence, brought about by a broken jaw, had something to do with the relatively low turnout. It made me wonder what I'd been missing.

And though the numbers weren't spectacular, adding 21 autographs to the collection, it certainly lowered any mental barriers I had over the team. The adventure started out nice when Brenden Morrow sign the pair of pucks shown above.

Also signing pucks were, from left, Fleury and Letang.


Signing cards that day were:


Top row: Matt Cooke, Pascal Dupuis and Tanner Glass;
Middle row: Jussi Jokinen, Tyler Kennedy and Douglas Murray; and
Bottom row: Brandon Sutter, Joe Vitale and Tomas Vokoun.

Also adding to the haul were Jarome Iginla and, much to my chagrin, Chris Kunitz.

 Next up: Team-signed (almost) Leafs jersey

2 comments:

  1. Very nice scores, jealous of the Fleury and Letang! Iginla is a class act, he signed beautifully for every body here in NJ. Malkin surprisingly stopped for a dozen or so autographs and I was luckily able to snag him on a Mcfarlane base.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe they're all learning that the more they sign, the less valuable their autographs become on the secondary market.

    ReplyDelete